Registered Nurses Joanne Kovac and Maureen Schaffer teamed up with Darwin’s resident plastic surgeon Dr. Ravi Mahajani to open Darwin Day Surgery in Fannie Bay, in 2007. Making it the only stand-alone day surgery in the Northern Territory and the only nurse initiated day surgery Australia.
2011 saw Darwin Day Surgery rise to greater heights when Joanne and Maureen were awarded the AMP Innovation Award at the Telstra Business Awards.
By 2012 Joanne and Maureen opened a brand new purpose built, state of the art Day Surgery in the Casuarina Health precinct, expanding to offer more specialties. With patients now having access to a range of procedures and specialties, such as Gastroenterology, IVF, dental surgery, general surgery, and plastic surgery; by means of either a General Anaesthetic, sedation or local anaesthetic.
Joanne and Maureen worked tirelessly to ensure the highest standard of patient care is provided throughout the entire pre and post admission process at Darwin Day Surgery. This was recognised in 2014 when they were awarded the Gold Award for Excellence in Customer Service by the Australian Business Awards.
Since then, Darwin Day Surgery has continued to grow exponentially, performing over 2,500 procedures in 2022 alone.
Darwin Day Surgery is a fully accredited business that adheres to the guidelines and standards of the following:
- The National Safety and Quality Healthcare Service Standards, Version 2 and AS/NZS ISO 9001: 2015 Quality Management Systems
- Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4187:2014 Reprocessing of Reusable Medical Devices in Health Service Organisations
- National Hand Hygiene Initiative
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention & Control of Infection in Healthcare
- Standards from the Australian College of Operating Room Nurses (ACORN)
In 2023, Darwin Day Surgery was nominated for the Australia Achiever Excellence in Customer Service Award in Australia’s Specialised Services & Supplies – Medical category. With a overall score of 99.07%, Darwin Day Surgery was awarded the NT State Winner.